Friday, August 16, 2019

Day 16: Dream Job

Dream Job


  Because our society molds us and shapes us from birth to grow up and prepare for a job, we've all had to think about a career. Thinking about what we wanted to be when we grew up was just a thought for an ice breaker exercise in elementary school. The question was never meant for any purpose as our system is not structured to support such desires or successes in fields unknown. Only secluded endeavors around our nation fuel our youth toward becoming great thinkers and innovators, while offering resources and encouraging creativity in a way that will cultivate business owners, authors, artists, and change agents. Then once we arrive at college we are told that we "need" to have a major and specialty that we study because that's what we're paying for. The percentage of college graduates who actually work in the field of their degree has diminished so much over the last several decades it's ridiculous. While we may have once had high hopes and aspirations for great careers and endeavors, we enter into "the real world" where those thoughts and ideas are not protected and are no longer encouraged.

  So now in our grown-adulthood, we work. We are forced to begin to establish credit and pay back debt. We are adults now and must take on responsibilities and meet needs. Whatever jobs we can find to pay bills and live comfortably. Grinding to make ends meet and live paycheck to paycheck with no hopes of securing a sound future due to debt and poor financial planning. Working a regular job is our security. This is America's middle-class reality. Whatever happened to those hopes and dreams. Is there a way to at least make our work easier, better?


  Now as my mind wanders, I (as I believe everyone should) begin to imagine what life would be like if I were doing what I'd dreamt of for so long. If I have to work a job in this cycle and system that pushes an unequal and one-sided economy, what is it that I dream of doing. What would make me happiest in this system? Entrepreneurial pursuits aside, what job have I dreamt of doing that would make working worth my while?

  My dream job? Within the past few years, I have come to realize exactly what my dream job is. I would simply be a project manager. That's right... a project manager.

project manager
NOUN

the person in overall charge of the planning and execution of a particular project.
  I've envisioned myself impeccably dressed in fine suits and professional dresses, stiletto heels, simple dainty jewelry, and a luxury handbag to hold all of my important documents and accessories, walking into a board meeting to give a presentation in great detail about a mass undertaking that I have been hired to help a large corporation analyze, strategically plan, and execute under my direction. I've been told that I look like a person who belongs in a fancy office with high tech equipment, an intelligent staff, and beautiful office. My dream is the whole package. When I would dream about such a job, I'd see the shallow tangible things including the aforementioned, but I'd also see the whiteboards, flip charts and graphs, the special programs I'd have to be trained on, and the satisfied clients. I see myself shaken hands with a CEO and VP who have entrusted me with the details of the expansion of their hospital, church, or school. I must admit, I'd also dream about those commission checks and large contracts, automatic deposits of six-figures to my account each month. The thought does still warrant a smile.


  I must admit that I do still oftentimes think about it. If I am to ever complete my MBA, I'd immediately go to complete the project management certification and join the national Project Management Association. I guess I've second-guessed myself the past few years. I've not gone after very many pursuits as I used to. I still have daydreams and visions but have not had enough drive or motivation to pursue them again. While I enjoy being a model, actress, and makeup artist, I do question daily if the entrepreneurial life is for me. I haven't been very successful. I know it's still the very early stages, it's just that I feel so far behind in so many areas. I wonder if I could really pursue being a project manager and have my own firm. Boy, I'd be living the life. Guess I have to decide if that's what I really want and how it ties into the things that I say I'm passionate about. Is there a way to be a professional independent project manager as well as a model, actress, and makeup artist?

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not surprised when you reach your goals, I'm just happy beyond measure for you.

    ReplyDelete