Saturday, August 17, 2019

Day 17: Favorite Childhood Book



   One of my favorite childhood memories is being in the third grade under the tutelage of one of my all-time favorite teachers, Miss White. She was the one who would give me a different type of attention as a student which I certainly needed at that time. Third grade was my transition from private school to my neighborhood public school education. I was fragile and different. I was the goody-two-shoes church girl who was not streetwise in the least. Miss White would notice things about me as a transitioning girl and spoke to my parents and was sure to offer assistance to help me become a better student. She saw something in me. Miss White would be the one to introduce me to books in a way in which I'd become interested, thus developing my love for learning and self-expression. I wanted to impress her. I wanted to be like her. She was the first African-American teacher I'd had thus far and she'd changed my life.

   Miss White had given me a book and it was the first book I remember seeing a black girl on the cover of. The girl did not look exactly like me, but I related to her. We both wore a barrette in our hair, and a simple grin our faces. I honestly cannot remember if the book was for a report or personal reading. I just remember that Miss White had given it to me. And if Miss White gave it to me, it was important and special.

   It's description is:
   Mary Eloise is disappointed that the part she gets in the school play is that of Black History narrator--but two storytellers visit her school and change how she views her heritage.

   I honestly cannot tell exactly what the story was. I know that it was about Dr. martin Lluther King, Jr. and this girl on the cover had something to do with understanding more about him. I believe Miss White wanted me to learn about him as well. Once I'd found a picture of the book online my heart lept! This is the first time in decades that I've had to look for that book. I almost felt tears once I saw the yellow border. That is the exact book I remember her giving to me at 8 or 9 years old. And there is the girl!! I'd never forgotten it!!

   This has certainly been more of an emotional entry than I'd expected. I never expected to feel so attached. The memory of this book proves a staple in my mind and on my heart that Miss White has on me. I will never forget this book because Miss White gave it to me. If I ever find Miss White again I'll be glad to share this story with her. I actually ran into her several years ago at a cabaret event I was a hostess for. She looks the same. I am determined to find her, and this book, again real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment